The original wooden Chapel of Our Lady of Blindekens was erected in 1305 as an expression of gratitude to Our Lady after the Battle of Mons-en-Pévèle (1304). The current chapel dates from 1651. The miraculous statue of Our Lady of Blindekens dates from the beginning of the 15th century. In order to fulfill the ‘Bruges promise’, which saw the men of the city returned safe home after the battle, the Blindekens procession has paraded through the streets of the city on 15th August every year since 1305. At the end of the parade, the people of Bruges offer a 36-pound candle in the Church of Our Lady of the Pottery.